* Cal State Fullerton senior guard Josh Akognon (Casa Grande) is averaging 23.9 points a game for the 4-6 Titans. Led by Akognon’s 22.3 points a game, Akognon led Fullerton to the Big West Conference Tournament title last year to clinch its first NCAA Tournament berth in 30 years. Akognon scored 31 points in a first-round NCAA Tournament loss to Wisconsin.
* Oregon freshman forward Amanda Johnson (Maria Carrillo) is averaging 8.5 points and is leading the Ducks with 6.3 rebounds a game. Oregon is off to a 3-3 start.
* Humboldt State junior point guard Zac Tiedeman (Montgomery) is averaging a team-high 13.4 points and 3.2 assists for the 7-3 Lumberjacks.
Tiedeman, a transfer from Santa Clara, scored 25 points and made two free throws with 30 seconds left in an 80-78 win against Sonoma State this season. He is shooting 49.3 percent from the field, 44.4 percent from 3-point range and 90.3 percent from the free-throw line.
* Santa Clara sophomore guard Michael Santos (Cardinal Newman) has started all eight games and is averaging 5.1 points for the 4-4 Broncos.
Santos earned a scholarship in the offseason after playing just 32 minutes as a walk-on last year. He is also averaging 2.3 assists and 1.9 rebounds while shooting 53.3 percent (16 of 30) from the field.
* Utah Valley University sophomore forward Justin Baker (SRJC) is averaging 4.1 and 1.8 rebounds off the bench for the 5-3 Wolverines.
* Tyler Tiedeman (Montgomery), who led Boise State to a school-record 25 wins and into the NCAA Tournament last year, is playing professionally in Spain.
Tiedeman, a 6-7 forward, is averaging 10.3 points and shooting 58.3 percent from the field for Basquet Inca.
* UC Irvine head coach Molly Goodenbour has led the Anteaters to a 3-4 record in her first year at the school. UCI went 7-24 last year and has had five straight losing seasons.
Goodenbour, who was the head coach at SRJC from 2003-05, came to Irvine from Division II Chico State, where she had a two-year record of 52-11.
* LSU assistant coach Donny Guerinoni (Analy), 30, is enjoying his first year in Baton Rouge as the Tigers are off to a 6-0 start. Guerinoni came with LSU head coach Trent Johnson from Stanford, where the Cardinal reached the Sweet 16 last year. Guerinoni played for Johnson at Nevada.